of Natural Resources
May 20-22, 2020, Saint-Petersburg
About the forum-contest
Since 2005 the International forum-contest of students and young researchers has been held in Saint-Petersburg mining university every year. In 2019 the Forum-contest was attended by:
universities and companies
Since 2018 the Forum-contest has been held under the patronage of the International Competence Center for Mining-Engineering Education under the auspices of UNESCO.
The XVI International Forum-contest of Students and Young Researchers “Topical Issues of Rational Use of Natural Resources” is the second stage of the International Forum-contest of Young Scientists.
For fifteen years the forum-contest has been an open platform for discussing topical issues of development of Russian and global mineral resources and fuel and energy complexes. During 3 days the participants will be able to present their research and discuss the most important sector-specific issues with the top experts of mineral resources complex, to take part in master classes of researchers and specialists of various fields of expertise, to participate in the competition of case studies and to speak in public in TED format at the oratorical contest.
Participation in the Forum-contest is a unique opportunity to make a presentation in front of the audience who represent more than 30 countries, to meet the representatives of government institutions and specialists from academic and business communities, to find potential partners and share the ideas with young researchers from other countries.
For the Participants
1. All the papers within the breakout sessions should be presented in English.
2. To participate in the Forum-contest it is necessary to fill out the registration form and upload the abstract.
3. You can only participate in the Forum with a presentation based on the short-listed abstract after the pre-selection of applications. There is no organizational fee for the participants.
4. Possible speakers of the Forum: students, postgraduates and young scientists under the age of 35 from abroad; PhD students and young Russian scientists under the age of 35; students of Russian universities who have won the XVIII Russian Conference-Contest of Students and Postgraduate Students (April 15th-17th, 2020, St. Petersburg).
5. The Organizing Committee will allocate a grant to the registered participants of the Forum who will provide their abstracts in due time. The grant will cover accommodation at the Multifunctional Complex “Gornyi” during the Forum-Contest and participation in the activities of the programme.
6. Registered foreign participants will be provided with a Letter of invitation for visa support.
7. For international participants only. To get a transfer from Pulkovo Airport or from St. Petersburg railway stations to the Multifunctional complex “Gorniy” and back please submit a “Get a transfer” form.
This year for undergraduate students, graduate students, PhD students and young researchers the organizers of the International Forum-Contest "Topical Issues of Rational Use of Natural Resources" hold a new type of event – Case competition.
Case tasks are real industry tasks that describe specific problems in various fields and require optimal and rational solution.
- Pre-registration is not required.
- Working language of the case competition is English.
- Participants of the forum-contest will be divided into teams according to the areas of focus of the sections; teams will receive their cases on the day of the contest.
- Members of each team have to analyze the task in a short time, create their own solution and present it to the expert jury in the form of a presentation.
Gornyi talks: TED-style presentation format
The Forum-contest 2020 provides an opportunity to young researchers to present the results of their findings not only in the form of conventional scientific communication but also in TED-style presentation format.
Steps for applying for a TED-style presentation contest:
1. Fill out the registration form.
2. Send the topic of your speech with a brief summary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Get approval from the organizing committee.
4. Send a video of your presentation (recording can be made in a day-to-day environment on any video recorder, including a phone or tablet).
- The language of the presentation is English.
- The length of the presentation is 6 minutes.
- Topic submission deadline is April 3rd, 2020.
- Video submission deadline is April 17th, 2020.
Academic session of junior scientists
The 2nd International Academic Session of Junior Scientists will be held as a parallel session on May 20-22, 2020. The participants are the 9-10 grade students who excelled in engineering sciences. The programme includes lectures, business games, technical tours, cultural programme.
Applications acceptance deadline for the participation in the forum-contest and participants’ abstract – 03.04.2020*
Articles submission deadline – 15.06.2020
Arrival & participants’ registration – 19.05.2020
Forum-contest working dates – 20.05.2020 - 22.05.2020
Forum-contest closing & award ceremony for participants – 22.05.2020
Participants departure – 23.05.2020
Visa support – *Free of charge visa invitation support from Saint-Petersburg Mining University is provided to the registered participants within the following time frames:
- for the European Union nationals and Chinese citizens - till 24.04.2020;
- for the nationals of other countries - till 20.03.2020.
- in case you don’t manage to place a request for visa support within these dates it is possible to arrange a tourist voucher at the invitation of the hotel of Multifunctional complex “Gorniy” (chargeable service).
1. New approaches to resolving oil & gas sector-specific issues
• efficient raw hydrocarbon production engineering, including enhancement of oil and gas recovery methods;
• advanced technologies of opening and development of hydrocarbon reservoirs;
• efficient technologies of oil and natural gas transportation;
• technologies of reducing losses during hydrocarbons;
• prospects for natural gas, gaseous motor fuel and liquefied natural gas;
• gas as a bridge fuel;
• intelligent oil & gas enterprise;
• gas hydrates: recovery processes and prospects for the development.
2. Technologies of integrated processing of mineral raw materials with further production of new generation materials
• chemical technologies of non-organic matters of hydrocarbons;
• synthesis and refining of hydrocarbons;
• pyro- and hydrometallurgical processes;
• extraction of materials with unique properties;
• deep processing of mineral resources with the production of high-grade concentrates;
• loop technologies and recycling of technogenic and household wastes;
• deep processing of coals and carbon materials.
3. Geotechnologies of resource extraction: current challenges and prospects
3.1. Solid minerals mining technologies. Industrial and labor safety
• technologies of open-cast, underground and combined mining of solid minerals;
• advanced blasting technologies;
• systems of industrial and labor safety management at the enterprises of the mineral resources sector;
• gas control in the process of mining solid minerals;
• thermal, dust and gas conditions of mines;
• mining engineering 4.0 (intelligent mine).
3.2. Underground and ground space development technologies. Rock mechanics and control of rock conditions
• technologies of underground space development;
• management of rock conditions in the process of mining solid minerals;
• geodesy, geodynamics and land modeling;
• topical issues of land management and cadastre.
4. Geological mapping, exploration, and prospecting of mineral resources
• geology, exploration, and prospecting of solid minerals;
• geology, exploration, and prospecting of oil & gas deposits;
• geotectonics, geodynamics, regional geology, and stratigraphy;
• mineralogy, petrology, and geochemistry;
• digital technologies of the survey, prospecting and modeling of hydrocarbon fields;
• hydrogeology and geological engineering;
• geophysics and geophysical techniques for mineral exploration and prospecting.
5. Economics of sustainability and global investment trends
• principles of circular economy and cost-effective use of resources;
• economics of critical materials;
• the role of stock exchanges and investment companies in industrial economics;
• current requirements to the quality of human resources in the mineral resources sector;
• economic and legal issues of energy industry development;
• innovative entrepreneurship and venture capital funding in the mineral resources sector;
• development of strategizing and business modeling in the companies of the mineral resources sector.
6. Information telecommunication technologies and digital transformation
• digitalization and automation of technological processes in metallurgy and mining, oil refining and mechanical engineering;
• digital logistics centers and computer simulators;
• industrial mechatronics systems and robotechnics;
• intelligent energy-saving technologies;
• information technologies and cybersecurity in the mineral resources sector.
7. Equipment, vehicle maintenance and energy efficiency at the enterprises of the mineral resources sector
7.1. Innovations and prospects for the developments of mining mechanical engineering
• technologies, equipment, and automation of mechanical production operations;
• mining machines and equipment;
• material engineering and materials-processing technologies;
• tool engineering, metrology, and metrological supervision;
• transportation systems and logistics in the mineral resources sector;
• automotive vehicles, implementation of transportation and management for automobile transport.
7.2. Energy efficiency at the enterprise of the mineral resources sector.
• electrification and automation of mining;
• renewable and alternative energy resources;
• intelligent technologies and digital transformation in power engineering;
• energy saving and energy efficiency technologies.
8. Climatic changes, environmental activity, and principles of sustainable development in the mining facility
8.1. Sustainable development of regions and environmental safety
• monitoring and assessment of the technogenic impact of industrial facilities of the mineral resources sector on components of the environment;
• issues of sustainable development of regions and industrial agglomerations;
• rational use and conservation of natural resources;
• assessment and control of ecological safety in the process of the mineral resources sector industrial facilities’ operations.
8.2. Waste management utilization, water treatment, off-gas treatment and land reclamation
• innovation methods of gas treatment;
• innovation methods of water treatment;
• advanced techniques of reclamation and revegetation of derelict and contaminated areas;
• innovation methods of production and consumption waste disposal.
9. Topical issues and contradictions of modern society development
• world fuel and energy complex as an area of interest, conflicts and contradictions between the actors of political relationship;
• social and political conflicts in modern society among young people;
• policy of international cooperation in management and resolution of social and political conflicts: theory and practice;
• role of mediation in the system of alternative dispute and conflict resolution;
• engineering education: social, cultural and psychological aspects of research and development trends.
10. Current aspects of architectural and urban activities
• strategy of spatial evolution and urban comfort zone;
• state-of-art approaches to the revitalization of the areas, urban spaces and historic development;
• current trends in the development of underground urbanistics;
• advanced trends in the development of architectural and urban theoretical research;
• innovations in architectural design.
11. Creativity competition for students and graduate students in architecture and civil engineering in the following nominated categories:
• design of a public building;
• design of a multi-family house;
• design of a single-family house.
Collection of abstracts
As a result of International Forum-Contest the abstracts of the reporters (guidelines for abstracts) will be published in the annual collection.
Abstracts submission deadline – April 3rd, 2020.
Complete the registration form and submit the abstract
Proceedings of the international forum-contest 2020
Within the framework of the International Forum-Contest 2020, St. Petersburg Mining University carry on a tradition of publishing the best articles of the forum-contest as a separate collection of articles (publishing house CRС Press, Taylor & Francis Group) for the purposes of the maximal promotion of young researchers' scientific papers.
Please note that the proceedings will go through two stages of reviewing:
- Reviewing the articles by the organizing committee.
- The final review of the proceedings will be done by indexing services such as Elsevier (Scopus) and Thomson Reuters (WoS).
Article submission deadline – June 15th, 2020.
Submit the article
Official opening of the conference
Greetings by the distinguished guests
Key note speech by the Rector Prof. Vladimir Litvinenko
Master classes by the leading experts
Performance of participants in TEDx format /
contest of public-speaking skills
16:00 – 16:30
Award ceremony. Closing ceremony
St. Petersburg is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million people. Among cities fully located in Europe, St. Petersburg is the third most populous city, as well as the first city in terms of population, which is not the capital. St. Petersburg is the most important economic, scientific and cultural center of Russia, a major transportation hub. The historical center of St. Petersburg and its associated complexes of monuments are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List; This is one of the most important centers of tourism in the country.
Among the most significant cultural and tourist sites are the Hermitage, the Kunstkamera, the Mariinsky Theater, the Russian National Library, the Russian Museum, the Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaac's Cathedral, and Nevsky Prospect. The program for the preservation and development of the historical center of St. Petersburg is also aimed at preserving cultural heritage sites.
VENUE AND ACCOMODATION
ST. PETERSBURG MINING UNIVERSITY
St. Petersburg Mining University is the first technical educational institution in Russia, it was established by order of Catherine II on 21 October (1 November), 1773, the University brought to life Peter’s the First and M.V. Lomonosov’s ideas about training mining engineers. The date has become the birthday of the whole higher technical education in Russia.
Nowadays, more than 12 thousand students are studying mining, oil and gas, machine building, energy engineering, economics, safety measures, geo-ecology. The Mining University trains bachelors, masters and specialists (engineers) according to 32 programmes. More than 180 doctors of sciences, professors, about 600 candidates of sciences and associate professors, about 120 academicians and correspondent members of different international and Russian academies are working at 49 departments and branches of the University.
Mining Museum is a keeper of unique collections. It houses more than 250 thousand exhibits collected from all continents and more than 80 countries. It ranks top three world museums of nature science profile. The University possesses the richest scientific and technical library which accounts for more than 1.2 mln books and journals including rarities of the XV-XIX centuries.
The Mining University performs intensive research in the development of the country’s raw material resources, environmental management, advanced energy-saving technologies of extraction and processing of mineral resources. The University has modern facilities and well-developed infrastructure, and it allows to hold international events at the highest level.
MULTIFUNCTIONAL COMPLEX «GORNYI»
Multifunctional complex «Gornyi» is the venue for holding national and international scientific meetings, congresses, conferences, symposiums, arranging educational courses of studying foreign languages, accommodation of students, postgraduates, invited professors and tourists.
The total area of complex is 23000 square meters. It includes 212 rooms (which can accommodate up to 410 guests), restaurant for 250 guests, congress hall with capacity up to 2200 guests, fitness centre and auditorium for 500 seats.
Free accommodation at the hotel of Multifunctional Complex “Gorniy” is supposed for all the participants and attendants from 19.05.2020 till 23.05.2020. Other dates are paid by the participants themselves. Hotel address: Nalichnaya str. 28/16, Vasilievsky island, Saint-Petersburg, 199406.
Saint Petersburg Mining University
199106, Russia, Saint Petersburg, 21st Line, 2
tel: +7 (812) 328-82-48
Venue and accommodation
Multifunctional complex «Gornyi»
199406, Russia, Saint Petersburg, Nalichnaya street, 28/16